Updated: August 11, 2021
We simply could not have endured the ongoing Covid crisis without the support of our student body, members, concert ticket holders and the dedication of this incredible community plus the passionate work of the staff, faculty and volunteers that keep Old Town School running.
As of June 11, the State of Illinois and the City of Chicago have moved to Phase 5. However, there are still some limitations and the school will continue to stay on the cautious side of things based on medical guidance from consultants and trusted members of our community.
The ongoing safety of our students, staff, and faculty remains our highest priority. We will continue to provide updates here on this alert page, which contains the most up-to-date information.
Please read below for additional clarification on our current policies and what you can expect from Old Town School in-person experiences over the coming sessions of class as we aim to provide a safe and welcoming space to gather and make music and dance together.
These policies are subject to change based on city and state guidelines and/or as guidance evolves.
Online Classes & Lessons:
- We are so glad to have many new friends from around the world as part of our community and we will continue to offer a variety of online courses.
- Please keep in mind, online course availability and options may be limited by teacher availability and student interest.
In-Person Classes, Lessons & Special Events:
- Classes are available at our Lincoln Square, Lincoln Park and South Loop campuses.
- Proof of vaccination for eligible attendees or a negative COVID-19 test is required for entry to all events, concerts, and classes at Old Town School of Folk Music. This policy goes into effect August 16, 2021. Policy details are available below on this page and Frequently Asked Questions can be found on the Health & Safety Measures page
- Course availability and options may be limited by teacher availability, student interest, and availability of appropriate classroom space.
- Students will be allowed access to their designated classroom immediately before and immediately after their scheduled classes. No practice rooms or other room reservations are available. Jams remain online or suspended for the time being.
- Please visit this page for additional information about our Together, In Tune health & safety measures in our classrooms.
- In-person concerts indoors will begin on August 22nd with Molly Tuttle. More details on safety and ticketing procedures to come.
- Proof of vaccination for eligible attendees or a negative COVID-19 test is required for entry to all events, concerts, and classes at Old Town School of Folk Music. This policy goes into effect August 16, 2021.
- The Old Town School Music Store is open to the public but has a capacity limit of 6 customers at a time and encourages keeping shopping times to 14 minutes or less and browsing the website prior to your visit.
- Online ordering as well as curbside pickup will continue to be available.
- Rentals are available, but inventory is limited - please call 773-751-3398 for additional details.
- The Old Town School Music Store is happy to take your questions - please call 773-751-3398.
In-person Safety Protocols:
1. Masks & Vaccination Policy
In order to maintain the safest space possible for our students, teachers, artists, staff, and attendees, proof of vaccination for eligible attendees or a negative COVID-19 test is required for entry to all events, concerts, and classes at Old Town School of Folk Music.
This policy goes into effect August 16, 2021, however, we encourage all of our community to adhere to these guidelines immediately.
Acceptable forms of safety status:
- Vaccination cards or clear photocopies as proof of vaccination, with the last dose administered at least 14 days prior to date of arrival which must match the name on your government-issued photo ID.
- Phone pictures of your vaccination card will be considered acceptable forms and must match the name on your government-issued photo ID.
- A current negative COVID test performed within the previous 72 hours prior to entry.
For our students and guests under the age of 12:
- Health Self-Checks remain required for entry into the building. Students who are sick, experiencing symptoms, have recently traveled to COVID hotspots are asked to stay home.
- Parents and caregivers over the age of 12 must show proof of vaccination or negative COVID test within the last 72 hours prior to entry along with the online Health Self-Check.
- Staff, faculty, students, concert attendees, and members of the public must be masked in all public indoor settings at all times. Additional information is available here
2. Clean Air
- All buildings in our Lincoln Square and Lincoln Park campuses have been tested and have been adjusted to exceed CDC guidelines for ventilation. As we continue to make improvements in this area, additional information will be posted here or on.
- We ask that students promptly make their way out of the building once their class concludes so that we can maintain clean and safe spaces for the next round of students.
3. Other protocols
- Students, Faculty, and Staff may not come to campus if feeling ill and will still need to fill out a quick Health Self-Check upon arrival or before each class. See your class reminder email or the posters at building entrances for additional information.
- Buildings will continue to be cleaned under the heightened safety protocols put in place in 2020.
- We will notify students/staff of COVID infections that are reported during relevant periods of potential contact where appropriate.
The ongoing safety of our students, staff and faculty remains our highest priority.
Thank you for your patience and for being a part of the vibrant Old Town School community. See you soon, either in-person or online!
Customer Service Information
We are here to help. Thank you in advance for your patience during this challenging time.
773-728-6000 - Every Day 10am to 4pm
Reach out to us on social media: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter